3 Stars of the Week: Feb. 4-10
|(Courtesy Rockford IceHogs)|
1st Star: LW Jeremy Morin, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 2G, 2A
Rockford broke their six-game slide last week, winning two of their three contests. Morin contributed to both victories, recording multi-point games on Feb. 5 at Texas (1G, 1A) and Feb. 8 at Peoria (1G, 1A). Morin’s 16 goals ties him with captain Martin St. Pierre for the team lead that category, and his 27 points are tied for third on the squad, after St. Pierre and Brandon Pirri.
2nd Star: LW Garret Ross, Saginaw (OHL)
The Line: 2GP, 2G, 3A, +1 plus/minus
Ross extended his point streak to five games stretching back to the end of January, thanks to a five-point run last week. After logging a shorthanded goal on Feb. 8 at Sarnia, the Saginaw captain exploded with four points (1G, 3A) the next night in a 5-3 win over Barrie. Ross’ 66 points (33G, 33A) are tied for ninth-most in the Ontario Hockey League.
|(Courtesy Rockford IceHogs)|
3rd Star: LW Terry Broadhurst, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 1G, 3A, +3
It might have seemed like a long time coming for the free agent signee out of Orland Park, Ill., but Broadhurst broke through with the first goal of his professional career on Feb. 5 at Texas. He also tallied an assist in that game to complete his first multi-point outing in the AHL and added two more helpers in Rockford’s next game.
Whitney won both of his starts last week, including a 27-save shutout against Chicoutimi on Feb. 8, his third of the season. Overall, in three appearances, Whitney made 81 saves on 83 shots, and he has won his last four starts dating back to Jan. 30.
Mattson helped North Dakota secure a pair of victories at Nebraska-Omaha over the weekend, getting on the scoresheet with a goal and a helper on Feb. 9 to bring his season total to three goals and 10 assists. His +9 plus/minus rating leads all UND blueliners.
Around the system:
- The Central Hockey League’s Bloomington Blaze lost two out of a three-in-three last weekend, but David Gilbert went on a tear, tallying five goals in that span: four total in two matchups against Quad City and one against Missouri.
- Moncton played just one game over the weekend due to weather conditions, but Phillip Danault made the most of his ice time, registering three assists in an 8-5 win over Halifax on Feb. 8.
- Travis Brown logged three helpers in three games last week, including a two-assist outing on Feb. 5 at Saskatoon. In 54 games this season, Brown has already recorded career highs in goals (9), assists (25) and points (34).
- Rockford’s reversal of fortune has been bolstered by goals from power forwards Jimmy Hayes and Kyle Beach, both of whom have tallied twice in their last three games... Defenseman Joe Lavin scored his first goal of the 2012-13 season to tie the game in the third period against Texas on Feb. 5.
- College defensemen Justin Holl and Stephen Johns will take part in the Hockey City Classic on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field. Holl and the Minnesota Gophers take on Wisconsin in a WCHA showdown, while Johns and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish face off against their CCHA rivals Miami (Ohio).