3 Stars of the Week: Oct. 7-14, 2013
|(Photo by Bill Smith)|
1st Star: C Drew LeBlanc, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 2GP, 2G, 1A
LeBlanc, the 2013 Hobey Baker Award winner, tallied his first professional points over the weekend, staging a two-goal outing on Friday in Lake Erie, including the game-winner. The next night, he added his first assist as an IceHog. LeBlanc signed as a free agent out of St. Cloud State in the former WCHA.
|(Martin Laroche/Victoriaville Tigres)|
2nd Star: G Brandon Whitney, Victoriaville (QMJHL)
The Line: 2GP, 2-0-0, 1SO, .981 SV%
Whitney shut the door for the Tigres on their weekend road trip to Gatineau and Shawinigan, allowing just one goal on 52 shots. He notched his first shutout of the season on Saturday in a 31-save performance against the Cataractes and was named the QMJHL’s Second Star of the Week ending Oct. 13.
|(Photo by Mackenzie McCluer)|
3rd Star: C Vincent Hinostroza, Notre Dame (H-EAST)
The Line: 2GP, 1G, 1A, +2 plus/minus
Hinostroza opened his Notre Dame career in fine form with a two-point performance in his collegiate debut on Friday against Western Michigan. The 2012 sixth-round draft pick contributed the primary assist on the game-opening goal before adding his first tally in the second period.
Brown continues to lead the Warriors in points after tallying two goals and three assists in three games last week; he has points in five of six outings so far in October (3G, 7A). Brown also recorded seven penalty minutes on Saturday night against Regina.
Broadhurst has points in three of his first four career AHL games and tallied three assists last weekend in Lake Erie. He contributed helpers on Rockford’s first two goals of the game in a 5-2 victory on Friday and added another assist the next night in a 5-1 loss.
Around the System:
- Carl Dahlstrom registered four helpers and a +3 plus/minus rating in three games for Linkoping in the Allsvenskan, Sweden’s second-tier league. The 2013 second-round draft pick has a goal and six assists in his first nine outings.
- Goalie Antti Raanta lasted just five minutes into his North American debut last weekend due to injury, but recovered in time to make both starts for Rockford this weekend. Last season’s Finnish league MVP went 1-1-0 against Lake Erie, making 51 saves on 57 shots... Maxim Shalunov made his AHL debut on Saturday and was held without a point in the 5-1 loss; the 2011 fourth-round draft pick recorded three shots on goal.
- The NCAA kicked off its 2013-14 campaign, with 11 of 13 Blackhawks prospects seeing action over the weekend. Boston College teammates Kevin Hayes and Chris Calnan each enjoyed fruitful outings on Sunday against Rensselaer, each tallying a goal and an assist in the 7-2 win.
- Anthony Louis, a 2013 seventh-rounder, scored his first collegiate goal on the power play for Miami University of Ohio on Friday in a 6-2 win over Ohio State, then collected his first career helper the next night in a 6-3 victory against the Buckeyes.
- In Big 10 action, Tyler Motte notched his first career goal for the University of Michigan on Saturday in a 7-4 win over RIT... Minnesota defenseman Justin Holl recorded a pair of assists in a 3-2 win over the University of New Hampshire on Saturday.
- Defenseman Nick Mattson and center Luke Johnson each notched an assist for North Dakota in a 5-3 win over Vermont on Friday.