|(John Quackenbos/Boston College)
1st Star: C/RW Kevin Hayes, Boston College (H-EAST)
The Line: 2GP, 3G, 4A, +7 plus/minus rating
Hayes helped key Boston College’s dominant run through the Northeast regional bracket last weekend, tallying three goals and four assists as the Eagles outscored their opponents 10-5. Chicago’s 2010 first-round pick scored twice and added two helpers in a 6-2 win over Denver on Saturday, then posted a team-high three points (1G, 2A) the next night in a 4-3 win over Hockey East rival UMass-Lowell. BC will face ECAC champion Union in the Frozen Four semifinal on April 10 in Philadelphia.
|(Todd Reicher/Rockford IceHogs)
2nd Star: D Adam Clendening, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 2G, 2A
Clendening netted a pair of goals in Rockford’s 5-4 win over Grand Rapids on Friday, then contributed two assists on Sunday in a 6-3 win over Chicago—including one on the game-winner—to help the IceHogs take two of three contests against Western Conference opponents. The 2011 second-round pick continues to lead the team with a career-high 54 points (10G, 44A) in 67 games this season.
|(Photo courtesy University of Minnesota Athletics)
3rd Star: D Justin Holl, University of Minnesota (BIG10)
The Line: 2GP, 2A, +3
Holl has been a mainstay on the Golden Gophers’ top defensive pairing in his senior season, but Chicago’s second-round pick in 2010 got on the board with two assists in two games last weekend, as top-ranked Minnesota rolled through the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament, trouncing Robert Morris 7-3 before blanking St. Cloud State 4-0. Holl has 12 helpers in 37 games so far this season.
Honorable mentions: C Alex Broadhurst, Rockford (AHL); C Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Rockford (AHL)
Broadhurst recorded points in each of Rockford’s three games over the weekend after collecting a pair of assists in Friday’s 5-4 win over Grand Rapids, his 13th goal of the season the next night in a 4-1 loss and another helper on Sunday in a 6-3 win over Chicago. Broadhurst ranks second on the team with 40 points in 67 games in his rookie campaign.
Bouchard picked up a pair of helpers in both of Rockford’s wins last week; the 29-year-old center has 19 points (2G, 17A) in 18 games with the IceHogs since joining the team from the New York Islanders in early February.
Around the system:
- Travis Brown contributed a goal and assist in Victoria’s 6-1 win over the Spokane Chiefs on Wednesday in the WHL playoffs and now has four points (2G, 2A) in as many postseason games. Victoria swept Spokane and will face off against the defending WHL champion Portland Winterhawks in the second round... The Plymouth Whalers were bounced out of the OHL playoffs by Guelph, with Chicago’s 2013 first-round pick Ryan Hartman registering two assists in a decisive 8-3 loss in Game 5. Hartman was assigned to the Rockford IceHogs and made his American Hockey League debut on Sunday.
- In the NCAA tournament, Notre Dame fell 4-3 in overtime to St. Cloud State in the West Regional semifinal on Saturday, despite outshooting the Huskies 42-28, ending the seasons of freshmen Vincent Hinostroza and blueliner Stephen Johns. Johns, a senior, led team defensemen with five shots on goal and finished his collegiate career with 57 points (15G, 42A) in 164 appearances. Hinostroza racked up a game-high nine shots on goal against St. Cloud State and finished his freshman campaign with 32 points (8G, 24A), ranking third on the team.
- Michael Paliotta logged a team-high five shots as the University of Vermont lost 5-2 in their first-round matchup to Union on Friday. The 2010 third-round pick finished his junior season with career highs in all offensive categories, totaling five goals and 22 assists while appearing in all 38 games for the Catamounts.
- After surprising BIG10 champion Wisconsin in the first round, the University of North Dakota—featuring Blackhawks prospects Luke Johnson and Nick Mattson—edged Ferris State 2-1 in double overtime to book a berth in the Frozen Four for the first time since 2008. Johnson was held without a point in two outings over the weekend, while junior defenseman Mattson posted an assist on the game-winning goal early in double overtime on Saturday.
- Rockford regained some offensive life last week as they claimed two victories out of a three-in-three weekend schedule. Friday’s 5-4 win over Grand Rapids featured two goals by Adam Clendening, as well as tallies by defenseman Mathieu Brisebois (his first as an IceHog) and Brian Connelly and forward Brad Mills.
- Alex Broadhurst netted Rockford’s only goal in their 4-1 loss at Grand Rapids on Saturday, with Brisebois and brother Terry picking up the helpers. The next night, the IceHogs poured six goals past the Chicago Wolves, led by a pair from Brandon Mashinter and one each by Mark McNeill, Joakim Nordstrom, Brad Mills and Phillip Danault. Brisebois extended his point streak to a season-long three games with an assist in the outing.
- Goaltender Kent Simpson claimed his 10th career AHL win after making 28 saves on 31 shots in Rockford’s 6-3 win on Sunday... Mac Carruth recorded his first shutout with the ECHL’s Florida Everblades and his second of the season after making 20 saves in a 4-0 win over Cincinnati on Saturday.