Week 2 Results:
Friday, Oct. 19: Rockford 1 at Peoria 2
Saturday, Oct. 20: Rockford 1 vs. Charlotte 2
Sunday, Oct. 21: Rockford 5 vs. Charlotte 4
Week 2 Recap:
With only one point through their first four games, the Rockford IceHogs’ stagnant offense came alive by the end of the weekend to pick up their first win of the young season. The Hogs dropped their first two games of the weekend with 2-1 defeats to Peoria and Charlotte, despite great goaltending from Carter Hutton, who blocked 72 of 76 shots in the losing efforts. The Hogs scored just five goals through their first four games until doubling their goal total in Sunday’s offensive explosion.
- After scoring five goals through the first 13 periods and an overtime in 2012-13, Rockford tallied five markers in the second and third periods on Sunday. Rockford started the season winless in their first four games (0-3-0-1) for the first time in franchise history before Sunday’s 5-4 win over Charlotte.
- Martin St. Pierre totaled three points (G, 2A) on Sunday, a single-game season high for Rockford.
- Jimmy Hayes notched his first career two-goal game of his professional career on Sunday against Charlotte.
- Brandon Bollig’s first tally of the season on Sunday figured in as the game-winning goal for the IceHogs, his second career game-winner.
- Carter Hutton has recorded a shutout and a pair of two-goal efforts in three of his four starts and doesn’t have a win to show for it. Hutton is 0-3-0-1 with a .929 save percentage and a 2.24 goals against average on the season.
- Marcus Kruger marked two assists on Sunday for his second multi-point game of the season.
- Four of Rockford’s first five games have finished as one-goal games in 2012-13 and Rockford is 1-2-0-1 in those four contests.
- Rockford’s win over Charlotte on Sunday was the team’s first home victory over the Checkers in six tries.
- After coming up empty on the scoreboard in the second period in their first four games, Rockford tallied two second period goals on Sunday, including Martin St. Pierre’s 58-seconds into the frame.
- Defenseman Joe Lavin was a +3 on Sunday, a single-game high for Rockford this season.
Hot Hog: Week 2: Carter Hutton, Goalie
Despite coming up empty in the win column in Week 2, Carter Hutton was sharp for the IceHogs. Both of Hutton’s starts resulted in 2-1 losses in Week 2. On Friday night, Hutton kept Rockford in the game in Peoria, making 32 saves on 34 Rivermen shots on goal. Then on Saturday, the Charlotte Checkers peppered Hutton with 42 shots and the third-year goalie blocked a season-high 40 of them, but it wasn’t enough in a 2-1 defeat.
Thursday, Oct. 25 vs. San Antonio Rampage: The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. The IceHogs meet up with the San Antonio Rampage for the first time in 2012-13. It’s WIFR sellout night as the TV station has bought all the remaining tickets for the game and are giving them away to fans for free via wifr.com.
Saturday, Oct. 27 at Grand Rapids Griffins: Beginning at 6 p.m., the IceHogs hit the road for their first match-up of the season against Grand Rapids. Each squad enters week three in a tie for 3rd place in the Midwest Division. The Hogs and Griffins will meet seven more times throughout the campaign.
Sunday, Oct. 28 vs. San Antonio Rampage: In a 5:05 p.m. matinee affair, the Hogs return home to take on the Rampage. The first 2,500 fans will pick-up a picture frame magnet schedule courtesy of T6 Broadband. Fans can bring ice skates to the game and join the players out on the BMO Harris Bank Center ice following the game. Also, kids can trick-or treat after the game in their Halloween costumes as the IceHogs players and coaches will be passing out candy, compliments of Nestle and Applebees.
|Back to top ↑|