This Week In Hawks History: Dec. 27 - Jan. 5
Keith's milestone, Noonan's great December and Larmer's rookie feat
Monday, 12.29.2008 / 11:04 AM CT / Features
By Harvey Wittenberg - Web Contributor
- Hawks Hall-of-Fame goalie Glenn Hall registered the first of his three scoreless ties against Boston on December 28, 1957. His next came on December 27, 1961 at Toronto.
- Steve Larmer became the third Hawks rookie to pick up four points in a game (1 G, 3 A) at Edmonton on December 29, 1982 during an 8-6 Chicago victory over the Wayne Gretzky-led Oilers.
- Brian Noonan scored all four goals against the Red Wings in Detroit on December 29, 1991. He had his only two other Hawks hat tricks earlier that month.
- Defenseman Duncan Keith appeared in his 200th NHL game against Los Angeles on December 30, 2007.
- Denis Savard picked up his eleventh Hawks hat trick at the Stadium in a 7-3 romp over the Hartford Whalers on December 30, 1989.
- The Hawks' record for the fastest two goals by two teams was set in the closing seconds of a Boston-Chicago contest on December 30, 1979. The Bruins' Peter McNab scored at 19:55 in the third period and Grant Mulvey answered back at 19:59 in the 5-3 Hawks victory.
- Chicago got its first double-digit game on New Year's Day, 1931 with a 10-3 rout of the Philadelphia Quakers. Frank Ingram scored four goals in the contest, the first time a Blackhawk ever accomplished the feat.
- The first-ever Hawks penalty shot came on January 1, 1936 with Paul Thompson scoring against Detroit.
- On New Year's Day, 1986, Troy Murray and Al Secord each had a hat trick as the Hawks trounced Pittsburgh 7-4.
- Montreal great Maurice "Rocket" Richard set an NHL record by scoring a penalty shot just 12 seconds into the game on January 1, 1952 against Hawks goalie Harry Lumley.