This Week In Hawks History: Feb. 1 - 8
Monday, 02.02.2009 / 2:24 PM / Features
By Harvey Wittenberg - Web Contributor
- The Blackhawks set a team mark for the fastest five goals to start a period (5 minutes, 38 seconds into the second) at Los Angeles on February 1, 1990. Duane Sutter started the barrage at 2:12 followed in order by Dirk Graham, Doug Wilson, Mike Hudson and Jocelyn Lemieux.
- Also on that date in 1962, Bobby Hull notched his second four-goal game at Detroit as the Hawks beat the Red Wings 7-4.
- February 3, 1982 was an historic night when Grant Mulvey set a team record with five goals in a 9-5 win over St. Louis. He also picked up two assists in the game to tie Max Bentley’s single-game mark. Four of Mulvey's scores came in the opening period, tying yet another team record.
- On February 3, 1932, Paul Thompson became the second Hawks player to rack up four goals in a game during a 7-0 whitewashing of Toronto.
- Brent Sutter established a Chicago record on February 5, 1995 with the fastest goal to start a game when he scored in 8 seconds against the Canucks. Bernie Nicholls lit the lamp four times in that same game as the Hawks cruised to a 9-5 victory.
- On February 6, 2003 in Calgary, the Hawks tied one of their oldest team records with ten shots in the overtime period as they battled to a 2-2 tie with the Flames. The original team mark came in 1931 against Toronto.
- Doug Bentley and Bill Thoms became the first Hawks to have multiple hat tricks in a game as they crushed the Rangers 8-4 at the Stadium on February 7, 1943.
- On February 8, 1990, team captain Dirk Graham picked up his only Hawk hat trick in an 8-6 win over the Red Wings in Detroit.