This Week In Hawks History: Feb. 9-15
Monday, 02.9.2009 / 10:22 AM CT / Features
By Harvey Wittenberg - Web Contributor
- Wayne Presley scored on a penalty shot in Boston on February 9, 1991. It then took 12 more penalty shots for the next Blackhawk to find the back of the net - Alex Zhamnov at Buffalo in 2002.
- On February 9, 1969, J.P. LeBlanc registered the fastest goal by a Hawks rookie in his first NHL game when he tallied early in the 2nd period against Toronto at the Stadium. The mark has since been erased by now-team captain Jonathan Toews, who scored 13 minutes into his first game.
- Jeremy Roenick established a team record with 8 shots on goal in a period on February 11, 1989 at San Jose.
- Hall of Famer Bill Mosienko set the bar for Hawks rookies on February 12, 1940, with four points in a game during a 4-2 win over Detroit at the Stadium. Roenick tied the mark on February 15, 1989 against Washington.
- Dick Redmond became the first Hawks defenseman to score a hat trick on February 12, 1977, in a 4-2 win over Colorado.
- A then-franchise attendance record was set at the United Center on February 15, 1997, when 22,819 saw Jeff Hackett blank the New York Rangers 2-0.