NORFOLK, VA - Last week, the Norfolk Admirals swept all three games they played to remain tied for third place in the East Division. On Wednesday, February 8th, Mark Cullen and Pavel Vorobiev netted two goals apiece to lead Norfolk to a 5-4 win at Hershey. Shawn Thornton posted two goals and an assist to help the Admirals to a 5-2 win over Springfield. The next night, the Ads scored twice in the third period to sweep the Falcons with a 3-1 victory.
The Manchester Monarchs make their lone appearances at Scope this year on Wednesday and Friday. Norfolk then begins a franchise-record 11-game road tilt in Bridgeport on Sunday.
At 27-18-2-3 (59 pts), Norfolk is currently tied for third in the East with Bridgeport (27-22-3-2, 59 pts). The division is led by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (36-10-3-2, 77 pts), followed by Hershey in second (31-14-2-7, 71 pts). Philadelphia (20-26-1-5, 46 pts) is in fifth and Binghamton (20-26-2-2, 44 pts) sits sixth.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Wednesday, February 15...Norfolk vs. Manchester Monarchs...7:15 p.m.
Friday, February 17...Norfolk vs. Manchester Monarchs...7:15 p.m.
Sunday, February 19...Norfolk @ Bridgeport Sound Tigers...1:05 p.m.
Goals: Mark Cullen (23) Assists: Mark Cullen, Martin St. Pierre (30)
Points: Mark Cullen (53) Games Played: Nathan Barrett, Steve Munn (49)
PP goals: Nathan Barrett (15) SH goals: Quintin Laing (3)
+/- Rating: Quintin Laing (+16) PIM: Mike Brown (125)
GAA: Corey Crawford (2.72) Spct: Corey Crawford (.898)
Wins: Corey Crawford (15) Losses: Corey Crawford (13)
GPI: Corey Crawford (29) Minutes: Corey Crawford (1676)
• Norfolk's 3-1 win over Springfield on February 11th was the first in the team's last 12 wins (since January 7th) that the Admirals scored fewer than four goals.
• Quintin Laing's goal on a penalty shot on February 10th marked the first time in franchise history the team recorded two penalty shot goals in one season.
• The Admirals have scored an empty net tally in three of their last five games, including both matches against Springfield (February 10th and 11th).
• This week's games mark the return of former Admirals Marty Wilford and Richard Seeley to Scope.
• Mark Cullen has five goals and two assists for seven points in the last six contests (since January 29th).
• Shawn Thornton has collected 3+6=9 points in the past nine games (since January 25th).
• Pavel Vorobiev has six points (3g, 3a) since being re-assigned to Norfolk on January 31st.
• Danny Eberly has a goal and three assists in his five games with the Admirals.