Stay Connected Blackhawks Facebook Blackhawks on Twitter Blackhawks on Foursquare Instagram Blackhawks Pinterest Blackhawks on YouTube Blackhawks Apps Blackhawks Blog Blackhawks Web Browser Blackhawks Newsletter Blackhawks Mobile

IceHogs fall in Grand Rapids despite Hayes' three-point night

Friday, 11.09.2012 / 11:14 PM / Rockford IceHogs
By Mike Peck  - Rockford IceHogs

GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. -- Jimmy Hayes' three points weren't enough for the Rockford IceHogs to overcome the Grand Rapids Griffins on Friday night as the Hogs fell 5-3 at Van Andel Arena.

After scoring a combined 11 goals in their first meeting on Oct. 27, the IceHogs and Griffins picked up where they left off on Friday. Just 2:10 into the game Riley Sheahan put Grand Rapids up 1-0. Francis Pare found the forward all alone in front of the Rockford net and he buried his second goal of the season.

Two quick strike goals put Rockford up 2-1. Shawn Lalonde's point shot snuck under Petr Mrazek at 5:40 of the opening period for his second goal in as many games for the IceHogs to tie it 1-1.

Just 36-seconds later, Hayes sprung rookie winger Brandon Saad on a breakaway and Saad deeked out Mrazek for his first pro goal at 6:16.

Brendan Smith tied the game for Grand Rapids at the 12:40 mark when his slapshot snuck through traffic and Carter Hutton for his second tally of the season. Then at 16:42, Sheahan dumped in his second tally of the game when he converted a Rockford turnover for his third goal of the season.

On a power play in the second frame, Smith cranked his second goal of the game over the glove of Hutton at 4:37, extending the Griffins lead to 4-2. All three of Smith's goals this season have come against Rockford.

Rockford found themselves down shorthanded for nearly five minutes after a Kyle Beach major penalty, but the Hogs were the ones to strike on the lengthy Grand Rapids power play. Hayes picked up a Ryan Stanton pass and fired his fourth goal of the season past Mrazek at 7:50 of the middle frame.

That was all Rockford could muster on Mrazek and the Griffins as Pare sealed the game with an empty net tally at 19:52 of the third.

Rockford outshot the Griffs 30-23, but couldn't convert on any of their three power play chances. Grand Rapids finished 1-3 on the power play.