Hometown: Tinley Park
High School: Providence Catholic
Current Hockey Team: Chicago Fury, Midget Major
Family Information: Derek lives with his parents, Scott and Gloria. He has two sisters: Gabi, a junior at Northwestern University, and Daniela, a sophomore at Eastern Illinois University.
Favorite Blackhawks Experience: Derek’s addiction to hockey is solely because of the Chicago Blackhawks. In 1994, only ten days after turning 2 years-old, Derek went to his first hockey game with his Dad: Blackhawks vs. Toronto Maple Leafs at the Chicago Stadium.
Derek was hooked right away, from the sound of the air horns after the Blackhawks' first goal to the faithful crowd going crazy when the Blackhawks won the playoff game in overtime. He came home from the game, picked up a broom, and started stick handling a ball around the house. The next day, his Mom went out and bought him a small hockey stick.
First time on the Ice: Derek started playing ice hockey at age 4. When he was 5 his team, the Orland Park Blackhawks played in a game before a Blackhawks-Red Wings game at the United Center. The Blackhawks' staff informed Derek that he was the first player in history to score a natural hat trick before the pre-game skate!
Derek’s Success on the Ice:
• In 2001 and 2003, Derek's teams were runners-up for the Illinois State AA Championship Blackhawks Cup.
• In 2006, his team won the Illinois State AAA Championship Blackhawks Cup.
• This season, Derek shows great leadership and support for his teammates.
• This season, in his first game back from a fractured wrist, Derek scored 2 goals and one assist to lead his Chicago Fury AAA team to a win.
Derek’s Accomplishments in the School:
• Derek volunteers over the summer helping in the administrative offices and is a member of the Augustinian Service Ministry.
• He currently holds a 3.0 GPA in his junior year.
• He is looking at Bowling Green, Ferris State University, and Western Michigan University as potential college selections. Derek would like to study pre-law in college.
Derek’s Contributions to the Community:
• In the community, one of Derek’s greatest concerns is for the homeless. On a weekly basis, he is a volunteer at the Public Action to Deliver Shelter (PADS) homeless shelters, as well as Habitat for Humanity, and a local food pantry.
Fun Facts about Derek:
• Favorite Pregame Meal: Pasta
• Favorite Blackhawks Player: Jonathan Toews
• Favorite things to do in the off-season: Hang out with friends, play golf, off ice training, make some money refereeing spring and summer hockey, and going on vacation with his family.